Harmful Thanksgiving Foods
Nov 24

Harmful Thanksgiving Foods

Thanksgiving is a time for family, friends and feasting--which means, naturally, there will be lots of food around for pets to potentially munch on. 

To keep your pet healthy and happy during the holiday season, make sure to know what foods your pet can and cannot have. Here is a list of Thanksgiving foods that can be potentially harmful or toxic to your pets.

1. Grapes or Raisins: Grapes and raisins can lead to sudden kidney failure when ingested by dogs or cats.

2. Turkey bones: Cooked bones can splinter, puncturing the digestive tract.

3. Turkey skin: Turkey skin is very fatty and can cause digestive upset and possible pancreatitis.

4. Onions: Onions are toxic to both dogs and cats and, when ingested, can do permanent damage to an animal’s red blood cells. 

5. Garlic: Garlic is extremely toxic to dogs and cats even in very small amounts and can lead to severe poisoning and, if not treated in time, death. 

6. Alcohol: A dog's kidneys were not meant to filter or process the alcohol content of beer, wine or drinks of any alcoholic nature.

7. Chocolate: When ingested by pets, chocolate can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, abnormal heart rhythm, seizures and even death. 

8. Sage: Sage can cause an stomach upset and central nervous system depression when ingested by dogs and cats. 

9. Ham: In addition to being high in fat, ham is also very salty, which can cause serious stomach ache or pancreatitis. 

It’s best to keep pets on their normal diets during the holidays. However, if you would like to give your pet a feast to enjoy as well, you can offer them their usual dinner with a few small bits of cooked turkey meat, vegetables (try carrots, green beans, raw pumpkin or sweet potato) and a sprinkle of gravy on top.