Thanksgiving Pet Safety Tips
Nov 20

Thanksgiving Pet Safety Tips

Here are 10 tips for keeping your pets safe and happy this Thanksgiving!

1. Thanksgiving can mean a lot of activity in the home, which can be overwhelming for some pets. Be sure to provide a quiet room where your pets can retreat to for relaxation during Thanksgiving festivities.

2. There is usually a lot of food sitting around at this time of year, some of which could be potentially harmful or toxic to your pet. Research ahead of time what foods your pet can and cannot have. See our post about what foods are unsafe for pets:

3. Lower stress for your animals during the holiday season by keeping them on a schedule. Take them on regular walks and feed them at the same time every day. 

4. Extra long walks and playtime before company comes over will keep your pet happy and low stress. Food puzzles for cats and or long lasting treats like bully sticks for dogs are an excellent way to keep pets occupied while guests are over. 

5. Remind house guests not to feed any table scraps to your pets, especially turkey bones. Bones can splinter and seriously injure your dog's or cat’s digestive tract.

6. Supervise any interactions between pets and children.

7. Whether you’re hosting guests or traveling, make sure your pets are microchipped and wearing current ID tags just in case they make a dash out the door during the Thanksgiving hustle and bustle.

8. Be careful with decorative flowers and plants as some can be toxic to pets. A few common festive plants and flowers to avoid include hydrangeas, baby’s breath, amaryllis, sweet william, poinsettia and yew. The best way to guarantee your pet's safety is to simply keep all plants and table decorations out of their reach.

9. Ask guests to be careful when they are entering or leaving your home. If your animal always makes a dash towards the door, keep them in another room while guests are coming in and out. 

10. Be sure your trash can has a secure lid or the trash bin is kept behind a closed door. Disposed leftovers can be quite tempting for your furry friend, but also potentially deadly.