Spay and Neuter
BARCS' surgical team performs thousands of spay/neuter surgeries per year in our shelter. This program serves the homeless pets in our shelter (every pet adopted from BARCS is spayed/neutered upon adoption) as well as owned animals in our community and outdoor cats in Baltimore.
Why Spay/Neuter Your Pet?
Spaying and neutering are common surgeries that ensure dogs and cats can’t reproduce. Spaying is the surgery for female dogs and cats; neutering is the surgery for male dogs and cats. Making the decision to spay or neuter your pet is one of the most important and beneficial choices you can make for your animal. And when you consider all of the positives, it's also one of the easiest. From your pet’s health and behavior to helping our city’s chronic pet overpopulation problem, spaying and neutering have positive long-term effects on the well-being of your animal and our community.
Benefits of Spaying Female Pets
- Decreases the risk of breast cancer and tumors.
- Eliminates uterine disease, ovarian cysts, miscarriages and delivery complications.
- Stops the heat cycle (bloody discharge, nervous pacing, crying/yowling) which, in turn, stops male dogs from having the urge to come into your yard.
Benefits of Neutering Male Pets
- Decreases the risk of enlarged prostates, testicular cancer and tumors.
- Stops the mating drive and subsequent spraying, reducing the urge to roam and mount.
- Reduces aggression against other animals, lowering the risk of injury, infection and expensive veterinary bills.
Free Public Spay and Neuter Services
Throughout the year, BARCS is able to provide FREE spay/neuter services to the public. These services are limited based on grant funding. Please contact to BARCS schedule a spay/neuter appointment for your pet at firstname.lastname@example.org or (410) 396-4695.
- Current qualifying zip codes for free spay/neuter at BARCS: 21217, 21223, 21225, 21229, 21230, 21213, 21215, 21216, 21202, 21231, 21205, 21206, 21211, 21224, 21226 and 21239 (Download the flyer - PDF)
- Códigos postales elegibles para la esterilización/ castración gratuita ofrecida por BARCS
- This free spay/neuter program is a grant-funded initiative made possible by the Maryland Department of Agriculture and PetSmart Charities. As with most programs and projects tied to grants, there are limitations and parameters based on the funding budget and service areas. The good news is, this specific grant wasn’t just awarded to BARCS! Here is a list of other groups who are offering the same service, to additional and different zip codes, through the Maryland Department of Agriculture’s funding: https://mda.maryland.gov/spay_
BARCS Community Cat Program
This is a FREE spay/neuter and rabies vaccination program for outdoor cats in Baltimore City. Do you have an outdoor cat colony in your neighborhood? Please call (443) 240-8530 or email us at email@example.com to see how we can help you. Click here for the Community Cats Program page.
Adopted Dogs and Cats
Every pet adopted from our shelter is spayed/neutered before leaving with their new families. There is no additional fee for this service and is included in our $75 adoption fee ($0 for pets 5 years and older).
Help us continue saving lives by making a donation today to BARCS. Our Spay and Neuter Program is just one of the many ways BARCS is helping to keep pets in their loving homes and out of the shelter.