Save Lives by Fostering with BARCS
We can’t save the lives of animals in need without our supportive and loving fosters. These special people provide an invaluable, lifesaving gift for homeless cats, dogs and small companion animals. Fosters open their homes to care for sick and injured pets, animals having trouble adjusting to shelter life, pets who need work on their socialization skills, or those who simply need time to grow before being ready for adoption.
Fostering saves the life of two animals: the one you welcome into your home and the life of the animal whose place it takes at our shelter. The more animals BARCS can take in, the more lives we can save.
Your role is to welcome a pet (or pets) into your home and provide food, water, toys and lots of love. You must be 18 or older to foster.
As a foster parent for BARCS, your responsibilities include:
- Monitoring your foster’s physical and mental wellbeing.
- Transporting to and from veterinary appointments and adoption events, as appropriate.
- Marketing your foster pet for adoption (if applicable).
Home Away from Home Program
Home Away from Home is our emergency boarding initiative. This program helps pet owners in crisis who need a temporary safe space for their beloved furry family members. We are in need of loving foster families who can open their homes and hearts to owned animals.
Perks of being a foster for this special program:
- You get to love and care for a pet in need temporarily, knowing it has a loving home to go back to
- BARCS provides all medical care
- Fosters do not need to market the animal for adoption as it already has a family
- Get to be part of helping not just an animal but also a family in need
- Commitment is 30-90 days on average
If you are interested in fostering owned pets, be sure to mark "owned pets" to qualify for Home Away from Home.
Join Our Foster Family
Please fill out the foster application here. This form tells us about your experience with animals and helps our team match you with the best foster animals for your lifestyle/home. Once we receive your information, you'll receive a link to complete our virtual foster orientation.