Rehoming Resources for Pet Owners
Rehome by Adopt-a-Pet.com
BARCS partners with Rehome by Adopt-a-Pet.com to provide free community listings of pets looking for new homes. By partnering with Adopt-a-Pet.com, we can help pet owners find new families for their pets without them having to enter into a shelter. This is much better for the families and the pet. Below is a downloadable PDF that contains more tips on writing a bio for your pet and screening adopters.
How to Use Rehome by Adopt-a-Pet (PDF download)
How to Write a Pet Bio
Use this list to ensure that the bio you complete for posting animals for rehoming will be successful.
- Appearance, size and age
- Describe his/her nature and what you like about him/her
- Describe your pet’s health status – be honest!
- Talk about what training skills your pet has and what they are still working on
- Put your name, phone number and a time for people to reach you
Screening Potential Adopters
You care that the pet makes it to a good, permanent home, so now you must “screen” the people who contact you. Asking some key questions will help with this, but be sure you have a conversation with the person and not an “interview” because you will get more from the exchange! Here are some questions to ask:
- Is this pet for you or someone else?
- Is it okay to have pets in your home/apartment/condo?
- Have you had pets before? If so, why are you interested in taking ________?
- Do you have any children?
- Are you willing to have me visit your home?
- Which veterinarian are you planning to use?
- Will the pet be supervised outside?
- Don’t hesitate to ask for references!
If you’d like help screening adopters, Rescue Well can help. Get in touch with them via their website: www.rescuewell.org